Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fondant For Gretchen

My friend Gretchen turned 35 this year and I was commissioned (ok I offerred) to make her birthday cake. So, thought this would be a good time to try fondant. I wanted to make her a cake in the shape of a present equipped with a bow. I bought pre-made colored fondant and rolled it into strips to look like the ribbon and shaped the bow. That part of it, however, didn't stand up and wouldn't dry out enough to hold its shape. Instead, I had to cut out shapes and create a different look.



I layered the fondant cutouts in the center to create a bow effect without the loops. In order to make the fondant stick to the other pieces, I had to wet my finger and paint the water on the back. My finger was pink, yellow and purple.

Gretchen wanted a chocolate cake with buttercream frosting. It was delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment